The COE Academy Program builds upon the Long-Term Athletic Development foundation started in earlier programs and introduces players to a faster-paced level of training that provides a developmental bridge to higher levels of play in the future.
By providing an environment and curriculum where players are challenged according to their ability, we help them develop into skillful, creative and intelligent players in the future. A GCS staff coach will train the teams twice per week and lead the team during games. Teams are placed in league brackets with other teams of similar ability to provide an optimal developmental competition.
Upon completion of the U10 Academy Program, players will have the option of continuing their play in the clubs Select or Premier Competitive programs or the Senior Recreational Program.
Key Objectives & Methodology of the U7-U8 Academy Program
- Key Objectives: Aid the development of gross motor skills, learn basic soccer skills, improve social interaction, and inspire players to love the ball and grow in the game.
- Methodology: Players are organized in ability-based groups led by professional staff coaches for all practices. Practice activities are designed to develop confidence with the ball and challenge players to experiment with new techniques. Small-sided games reduce coaching interventions and teach players to cooperate with teammates while competing with opponents.
Key Objectives & Methodology of the U7-U10 Academy Program
- Key Objectives: Build on prior athletic development, gain confidence in performing a wide variety of skills (using the left and right sides of the body) under pressure, expose players to different tactical roles, prepare players to succeed at the Competitive Program level, and inspire players to love and grow in the game.
- Methodology: Players are organized in ability-based groups led by professional staff coaches for all practices. Practices focus on skill mastery by using repetition to maximize ball contacts for each player and introduce small-sided tactical concepts. 7v7 games require players to work in units of 2s and 3s to solve a full range of tactical challenges using the skills rehearsed in training.
- Season Information
Spring Season 2021 | Feb 1 - May 15 | 14-weeks - New 2021
- Training Begins: Feb 1
- Preseason Tournament (optional): Feb. 13
- Club Partner Friendlies: Feb. 27 or Mar 6, Mar 20, 27 - New 2021
- League Season Begins: April 10 - May 15
- End of Season Tournament (optional): TBD
Fall Season 2021 | Aug 1 - Nov 13 | 14-weeks
- Training Begins: Augsut 1st
- Preseason Tournament (optional): Late August TBD - New 2021
- Club Partner Friendlies: August TBD - New 2021
- League Season Begins: Septemtber 11 - November 13
- End of Season Tournament (optional): early Dec TBD
U7-U8 Academy Information
- Game Format: Small-sided 4v4 (no goalkeepers)
- Team Structure: 7-8 player/teams, co-ed
- Practice Frequency: Two (2) per week, 90-minutes each, beginning.
- Games: One (1) each Saturday, with Three (2) 20-minute halves
- Coaching: GCS staff coach
U9-U10 Academy Team and Season Information
- Game Format: Small-sided 7v7 (with goalkeepers)
- Team Structure: 12-14 player/teams
- Practice Frequency: Two (2) per week, 90-minutes each
- Games: One (1) each Saturday, two (2) 25-minute halves
- Coaching: GCS staff coach
- Size 3 soccer ball U7-U8 (inflated with a name on it)
- Size 4 soccer ball U9-U10 (inflated with a name on it)
- Soccer cleats & Shinguards
- Water bottle (with a name on it)
- GCS COE Academy Uniform Kit (purchased separately at registration)